VCM 505: Introduction to Veterinary Science
This 16-week course is for students who:
- want to pursue our online MVS, but lack a veterinary background, or
- want a refresher on veterinary anatomy
Dr. Suzanna Storms walks students through three major pillars of information: anatomy/physiology, including necessary information from major body systems (cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, renal, nervous, and reproductive), evolutionary biology/bioinformatics, and microbiology/virology. Each module is presented with a series of short video lectures with suggested reading and reference materials. Discussion boards are posted each week to integrate concepts.
What You'll Learn
- Identify anatomical structures in different body systems, and summarize similarities and differences between species in normal physiologic systems.
- Predict which body systems viruses or bacteria will colonize based upon anatomical and physiological tropism.
- Predict which defense systems the body will use to combat different pathogens.
- Describe the process of the DNA sequencing pipeline and demonstrate an understanding of next-generation sequencing technologies