VCM 563: Infectious Respiratory Diseases of Swine
Students will learn how to clinically apply pathogen biology, pathology, host responses, and interventions to address respiratory diseases in swine. Learn why these diseases are so important to our livestock systems, how to identify them, and how to control them.
Preview the syllabus here.
Topics covered include:
- porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV)
- influenza A virus in swine (IAV-S)
- Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae (APP)
- Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae (Mhp)
- Pseudorabies virus (PRV)
- other minor viruses
What You'll Learn
- Data collection strategies to identify potential causes of Porcine Respiratory Disease Complex (PRDC) in a livestock system.
- Identifying the root cause of PRDC in a livestock system.
- Developing integrated control and monitoring plans for swine respiratory disease.
This course is an approved elective for the Master of Veterinary Science Degree