Certificate of Veterinary Science
Vet Med Graduate Academic Program (GAP): Summer Session
An intensive program geared toward preparing you for the rigorous requirements of veterinary school
The Vet Med GAP Summer Session is for students who:
- Have completed their undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher and are looking to enhance their Vet School application
- Are looking to build a strong foundation for success in veterinary school
- Are seeking to fill the gap between their undergraduate degree and veterinary school
- Are ready to deepen their confidence and competence in critical thinking and problem-solving abilities
What makes the GAP Summer Session unique?
- Complete 12 graduate hours in 12 weeks and demonstrate your ability to handle the rigorous academic course load required in vet school
- Program developed and delivered by our veterinary faculty
- Ability to strengthen your academic and professional networks and relationships
- Guidance from veterinary student mentors as you develop your vet school application
Why the Certificate in Veterinary Science?
Our GAP certificate is designed around the concepts of student success, active learning in community, career and professional development, leadership, and teamwork. Specific courses are focused on developing critical thinking skills, communication, and problem solving of animal health challenges. The required credit coursework involves classes in bioveterinary structure and function, clinical microbiology, infectious disease, host homeostasis and responses to health challenges.
The summer session is an intense 12-week period. Courses are entirely online, lasting three weeks each, and taught both synchronously and asynchronously. You should plan to spend 48 hours per week on coursework.
This certificate begins May 15 and ends August 6, 2023. Only 32 highly-qualified applicants will be selected for this rigorous program.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a transcript and certificate from the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine to show future employers or admission committees.
- Successful completion of your undergraduate degree by May 2023
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Cover Letter
Cost and Timeline
The cost per credit-hour is $726. Online students are not subject to any additional fees for services. No financial aid is available for non-degree certificate programs
Apply by April 1 for preferred admission. Only 32 applicants will be accepted.
Course 1 - VCM 507: Veterinary Form and Function - runs May 15-June 4, 2023
Course 2 - VCM 509: Biology of Veterinary Pathogens - runs June 5-June 25, 2023
Course 3 - VCM 513: Science of Health Homeostasis - runs June 26-July 16, 2023
Course 4 - VCM 514: Science of Health Evaluation - runs July 17-August 6, 2023
Certificate awarded August 2023
Need more information before you decide? We're happy to chat with you - send us an email today!
Springboard to a Master of Veterinary Science degree
Completion of the certificate can count toward the hours needed for your Master of Veterinary Science (MVS) degree at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine.
Upon admission into the MVS degree program, you may petition for the 12 credit-hours from the certificate to count towards your degree. The MVS degree program requires 32 credit-hours. You could earn a Master of Veterinary Science after successfully completing the remaining 20 credit-hours.
You would graduate with a Master of Veterinary Science with a certificate in Integrated Animal Health Sciences.
Want to learn more information about the program?
We are happy to schedule a call with you.